Openvirt provides commercial quality virtualization that is completely free of license fees and a web based control panel that makes for easy management. Full virtualization of unmodified operating systems includes support for Linux, Windows, Solaris and FreeBSD virtual machines.
Live migration is supported even between hosts with completely different CPUs. A high availability service will automatically restart virtual machines which were running on a physical host that failed.
Integration with iSCSI, Fibre Channel and InfiniBand SANs is supported. Most networks including 10 Gigabit Ethernet and InfiniBand are supported.
“Not only can Openvirt save your organisation serious money in license fees, it also gives you real access to your data.” said Lee Chisnall, CTO of Digital Networks. “There are no proprietary control panels restricting access to your data. The open design of the platform allows you to build completely bespoke solutions.”
Openvirt is now based on Ubuntu 10.04 Server LTS. This is supported until April 2015.
Release 2.0 platform components:
- Ubuntu 10.04 Server LTS base OS
- Linux kernel 2.6.33
- QEMU-KVM 0.12.3
- Libvirt 0.8.0
- Control Panel Release 11
Release 2.0 includes these new features:
- High availability service
- Kernel Samepage Merging for reduced memory usage
- Guests disk usage monitor
- Centralised SQL server for monitoring records
- Full system logging
- Power distribution units support
- Cluster test
- Pre-built templates for CentOS, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu
- Detailed template creation tutorials
- Batch cloning
- Release check service
- Plus many other minor improvements and refinements