Virtual Computer today announced Version 2.0 of NxTop.
Based on 12 months of development and feedback from hundreds of deployments, NxTop 2.0 provides a mature platform for organizations evaluating or implementing their next generation desktop initiative.
NxTop 2.0 comes with a host of new management and security features designed to increase desktop IT productivity:
- Deployment of NxTop Center as a virtual appliance: Enables NxTop Center to operate in high-availability mode using Hyper-V’s automated failover and load-balancing features. In addition, Managed Service Providers (MSPs) can now share a single hardware platform to manage multiple customers, making NxTop an ideal management platform to lower the cost of managing small and medium sized businesses
- Staged virtual machine updates: Allows patching of a single shared image and patch delivery to one or more users or groups for testing. Upon testing completion, the patch can be delivered, with the click of a button, to all users.
- Multi-language support: Most large-enterprise customers have global operations. To aid in international rollouts, NxTop 2.0 now provides the ability to create virtual machines in a dozen popular languages including Spanish, French, German and Japanese.
- Automated profile migration: Upgrading to Windows 7 can present a major challenge to large organizations. For example, the target PC must be taken out of service and user files and personalization settings must be migrated, and end-users must be trained on new features before they can be productive. NxTop 2.0 simplifies this process with a new tool that can automatically migrate users from their current XP environment to a new virtualized environment based on XP, Windows 7 or both. When combined with NxTop’s existing automated deployment features for Windows 7, and ability to run both XP and Windows 7 side by side, moving a large group of users from XP to Windows 7 has never been easier.
- Hardware Compatibility Checker: Many of the Intel based laptops shipped in the last two to three years have shipped without Virtualization Technology (VT), a requirement for NxTop Engine. To help IT administrators quickly find compatible machines, NxTop 2.0 provides a tool that can analyze a user’s PC and verify that it will run NxTop Engine.
NxTop Engine now provides an operating system independent control panel with a familiar look-and-feel that blends seamlessly into Windows XP, Windows 7 or Linux.
- Direct access to the NxTop control panel from within Windows
- Configurable “hot key” shortcuts to control various hardware on laptop machines (multi-monitor switching, volume control, mouse control, platform locking, and others)
- Better power management and platform sleep functions
- Intuitive design that avoids the need for end-user training
A free evaluation download of the full NxTop 2.0 software suite is available as well as a cloud-based live demonstration system. Pricing is on a per-PC perpetual licensing model.