VMware has announced the availability of VMware’s ThinApp 4.5 application virtualization solution.
ThinApp 4.5 enables rapid adoption of Microsoft Windows 7 in the enterprise by providing compatibility for legacy and custom applications across multiple Windows operating system environments. With ThinApp 4.5, enterprises can quickly migrate existing applications to new Windows operating systems such as Microsoft Windows 7, eliminating conflicts between operating environments, and extending the life of application investments.
VMware data shows that leveraging ThinApp 4.5 for application virtualization can reduce the costs associated with migration by as much as 25% while migrating systems up to 40% faster by accelerating the application compatibility, testing and deployment processes required for application migration.
VMware ThinApp 4.5 new advanced enterprise features include:
- Simplified application migration to Windows 7 — Eliminates costly recoding, reduces regression testing to accelerate application deployment to a new OS while minimizing risks of downtime.
- Broad Windows 64-bit support — supports 32-bit and 64-bit Windows from NT to Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2.
- Easy Upgrade from older ThinApp Applications with Relink — convert existing ThinApps to the new ThinApp 4.5 format without the need of associated project files for the applications.
- Advanced Performance Accelerator — reduced page file usage for virtual applications allows for quicker application invocation and reduces network bandwidth by as much as 50%.
- Secure Registry Journaling Protection — ensure registry file integrity and eliminate potential data corruption due to crash or system failure.
- Enhanced Community Support — enables sharing of application packaging status and techniques in the ThinApp Community Portal.
VMware ThinApp Application virtualization software isolates applications from the operating environment, increasing compatibility and manageability across multiple operating systems common in the enterprise. By enabling enterprises to manage and deliver applications from a central source, VMware ThinApp streamlines application security, updates, patches and performance while delivering applications instantly to nearly any device.
The result is significantly reduced application management costs of up to 60%. Increased compatibility across operating systems ensures investment protection for legacy and custom applications even as the underlying operating system changes. Enterprises considering upgrading to Windows 7 can avoid the costly process of recoding, retesting and recertifying existing applications on the new operating systems through application virtualization on VMware ThinApp.
VMware ThinApp 4.5 will be generally available on March 17, 2010, through VMware sales and the company’s extensive network of OEM partners and channel partners. Pricing for VMware ThinApp Suite is $5000.00. VMware ThinApp is also bundled in View Premier for $250 per concurrent user.