Citrix Systems today launched the new Citrix Ready Open Desktop Virtualization program to further accelerate large-scale enterprise virtual desktop deployments with Citrix XenDesktop.
The Citrix Ready Open Desktop Virtualization program includes more than 10,000 products from over 200 vendors that have been validated as ready to deploy in production environments with the recently launched XenDesktop 4. The Open Desktop Virtualization program helps make virtual desktops a safe choice for enterprise-wide deployment by eliminating the guess work and ensuring customers that XenDesktop 4 has been tested to work with the software, hardware and services they already uses in their IT environments today.
Products that have been verified to work with XenDesktop 4 include thousands of applications, servers, storage systems, backup solutions, client devices, printers, desktop peripherals, security products, desktop management software and systems management solutions.
Launched on October 6, 2009, (see press release) and now available for download, XenDesktop 4, with its unique FlexCast delivery technology, is the first product in the industry to support every major desktop virtualization model in a single, integrated solution. The FlexCast delivery technology provides the architecture that allows customers to choose from any of the hosted or local virtual desktop delivery models available in one, easy-to-use solution, without locking them into a single, proprietary vendor model.
Built with an open architecture, XenDesktop gives customers the flexibility to run heterogeneous environments, lowering costs and maximizing their return on investment. It also makes it easy for customers to gradually add desktop virtualization capabilities at their own pace, simplifying desktop computing, increasing security and enhancing end-user productivity. With its market-leading HDX™ technology, XenDestkop 4 also helps ensure that every user has a rich, high-definition experience, regardless of where they are, or what type of device they are using.
Mainstream adoption of desktop virtualization requires a solution that is built with an open architecture and leverages an ecosystem of partner products. This combination helps customers implement an end-to-end solution to enhance or replace their traditional desktop computing environments. XenDesktop 4 supports every major server virtualization platform, including Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008, Citrix XenServer, VMware ESX and VMware vSphere. The XenDesktop open architecture further incorporates Citrix Ready and HDX Ready thin clients, Windows, Linux and Mac devices, as well as most major mobile device platforms.
The Open Desktop Virtualization program leverages XenDesktop’s open architecture and verifies interoperability with over 10,000 products across the following categories:
- Virtualization Infrastructure – Hypervisor-based virtualization platforms that host and manage desktops and applications that run in virtual machines. Includes Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware ESX, VMware vSphere and Citrix XenServer
- Servers and Blade Systems – Hardware platforms that power server-side virtual desktops and applications running in the datacenter. Includes Dell, HP, IBM, Fujitsu, Intel and AMD
- Storage and Backup Systems – Software and hardware storage products that drive increased performance, cost savings and reduced storage requirements for desktop images, user profiles and end-user data. Includes CA, Compellent, CommVault, DataCore, Dell EqualLogic, EMC, FalconStor, Fujitsu, HP StorageWorks, Hitachi, IBM, LSI, NetApp, NEC, Pillar Data Systems, RELDATA and Xiotech
- Applications – Enterprise, line-of-business and personal productivity applications that can be delivered more efficiently to end users through desktop and app virtualization. Includes Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, Google, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP and over 1,000 additional software vendors across a wide variety of industries
- PCs, Laptops, Netbooks, Thin Clients and Mobile Devices – Devices used by employees and other end users to access virtual desktops and applications. Includes Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Fujitsu, Research in Motion (Blackberry), Sprint, 10Zig, Chip PC, Computer Lab, DevonIT, IGEL, ThinLaunch, VXL and Wyse
- Printers and Desktop Peripherals – Printing solutions and drivers for an extensive range of cameras, scanners, card readers, hard drives, keyboards, speakers and other popular desktop peripherals that have been certified to work in virtual desktop environments. Includes Canon, Dell, HP, Konica, Kyocera, Lexmark, Mita, Minolta, OKI, Samsung, Xerox, ThinPrint, TriCerat, UniPrint and over 7,000 other popular USB desktop devices and driver support software
- Unified Communications – Real-time voice, meeting and communication systems that enable users to collaborate seamlessly over multiple mediums. Includes Avaya, Microsoft, ShoreTel, Citrix GoToMeeting, Citrix Hi-Def Conferencing and Citrix EasyCall
- Client Systems Management – Unified management of physical endpoint devices to virtual environments providing a consistent cost-effective experience for the desktop administrator. Includes CA Desktop Management Suite for Windows, CA Unicenter, HP OpenView, Microsoft System Center, Novell and Wyse
- Profile Management – Software to ensure users’ personal settings are applied to the each user’s virtual desktop and applications. Includes AppSense, RES Software and TriCerat
- Security – Software and hardware products to ensure secure access, business continuity, data security and regulatory compliance for employees working in any type of virtual desktop environment. Includes Kaspersky Labs, McAfee, Novell, RES Software, RSA, Sophos, TrendMicro and Citrix Access Gateway
- Solution and Deployment Services – Services to ensure that all users have the best experience when moving to virtual desktops, both for premise based and cloud hosted environments. Includes Accenture, CSC, Dell, HP Services, Fujitsu and IBM Global Services
A white paper providing more specific information about the partner categories can be found at the Citrix Ready Open Desktop program page.